Tumblr user threefeline created these beautiful things called ‘mothsteeds’. I really liked the overall design, so I doodled one as a practice to get the hang of Krita.
Except that the piece kept getting more elaborate as I went, and I failed to take into account the sheer frustration of experimenting with styles while learning a new program, so a ‘quick speedpaint’ ended up taking around 5 hours spread over the weekend.
Edited Feb 9th 2018 – Upped the contrast to bring the colors out better.
Said a Princess to the Queen:
“Your Highness, how did you find your happy end?”
Said the Queen to the Princess:
“My dear, stories don’t ever just end.
My story was full of roses
and gilded knights
and bitter tears
turned into fairy lights.
Days spent spinning flax
and nights on the scullery floor.
Dresses made of starlight
and dancing in marble halls.
But after all the threads been spun
the sun will still rise and set.
A Prince and a Princess will live on
even after they’ve wed.
So you see my dear, stories don’t have a happy end,
because it is awful rare for stories to truly end.”
This piece was an experiment. I wanted to do something graphic and clean cut with drastically limited color scheme. I have a vague recollection of seeing fairy tales beautifully illustrated with this sort of black and white imagery sometime years ago, so I rolled with the theme.
The poem to go with the piece was largely inspired by ‘Mother to Son’ by Langston Hughes.
Practicing using shadows and highlights to create contours.
Slobb Jones was another school project our class did, an augmented reality game. The school’s official website for the game with images of the final product can be found here: http://gamesblogs.metropolia.fi/slobbjones/
In the project I was an environmental artist, responsible for much of the modular pieces that were used to build the levels. (Translation; I spent 10 weeks modeling rocks.)
Early concepts I did for the game elements, and then refining their actions and visuals.
Modular pieces used in the levels,
Some more atmospheric props, designed for an “ancient ruins” kind of environment.
Took a short course on the basics of Blender to refresh my memory. The final assignment of the course was to model a light saber similar to those seen in the Star Wars franchise.
The teacher provided us with reference images, but at the same time encouraged us to adjust the design to our own liking, so my saber design doesn’t match anything from the movies exactly. I’m pretty happy with the result.
Project from April 2014. We spent some time going over both Adobe After Effects and Flash, and then we were given a choice of whichever program we wanted to use, and an open assignment of creating either a mini game or a short animation.
Done in Adobe After Effects, about two weeks to rig the characters and animate.